Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Housing conundrum in Delhi

After all what do we understand by housing? I certainly feel that at least Delhi's understanding on this matter is beyond my grasping prowess. I couldn't comprehend that is just constructing four wall with a roof enough to call a cave emulator as house? I guess if one looks at the general scenario of housing in Delhi, this comparison wouldn't be lost to many (barring Delhilite of course). I had three distinct house searches in Delhi and to say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. But to look at positives all three searches were enlightening and definitely a reality check. These searches told me that how much I was unwanted in this city and extent of difference between Delhi and Mumbai ideologies(in fact, all other cities as well).

I had lived in Mumbai for 1&1\2 years and I felt so comfortable despite city being overpopulated, hot, humid and lacking in infrastructure. The sheer pleasure of being able to live, travel and enjoyable after office life, weighed much more in comparison to above stated negatives. Though I am from town planning background, Delhi's structure is beyond my comprehension. A structure which was based upon town planners's dreams which they had during sleeps undertaken in courses offered in UK. I would touch on this subject in some later blogs.

Back to my topic of searches, I had my first search when I moved to Delhi in late 2006, fresh from Mumbai. I was looking for one bedroom flats which I believed would have been ideal knowing limited assets that I had at that time. I contacted some of the brokers here in Delhi and was very clear with rent that I was willing to pay as well as the size of the flat that I was looking for. To my amusement I found out that there is no such thing as one bedroom flats in Delhi, it was LIGs, and two bedroom flats were MIGs. There was another category of one room set or two room sets available in builder flats, with landlords acting as vigilantes. These sets were invariably either illegeal construction on the rooftop or garages without any windows or without a proper kitchen with ventilations. These room-sets were much advertized by real-estate agents and according to them they were the best places to live in.

This situation told me about some distinct assumptions of Delhi's mindset. First, economic class guides the housing size not requirements ; second, tenants are inhuman and they don't deserve any human craving for air and natural light ; and third, all stranger are guilty-till-proven-inncoent. This last assumption I would further explore in some other blog.

I am finally settled in a 2BHK flat 35 kms away from office but with a balcony, living room with big window and properly ventilated bedrooms and kitchen. I have to travel a lot but at least I live my life with dignity and comfort.

0 comments: